The 2017 MLK Day Annual Unity Rally and March will take place tomorrow in downtown Spokane.
This year’s events will include a rally, march, resource fair, a Black History 101 Mobile Museum, blood drive and entertainment.
Freda Gandy, executive director of the Martin Luther King Jr. Family Outreach Center said in a press release that the event is a time to honor the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.
“It’s also an opportunity for us to renew our personal vows of citizenship through service to others and engage in conversations to advance our community goals of diversity and inclusion,” she added.
The event kicks off at 10 a.m. and will take place at the Spokane Convention Center, Exhibit Hall B. Participants must undergo a security screening and are therefore asked to arrive early.
Guest Speakers include Spokane Mayor David Condon, Dr. Beck A Taylor, president of Whitworth University and Phil Tyler, president of the Spokane NAACP. Rev. Happy Watkins will also deliver King’s “I have a Dream” speech . The rally is followed by the Unity March through the streets of downtown Spokane.
After the rally and march, a resource fair will occur in Exhibit Hall B featuring social services and non-profit agencies. The Black History 101 Mobile Museum, a traveling table top exhibit depicting Black memorabilia, will be available for viewing featuring the Martin, Motown and Michael – 3 M’s Exhibit. The 3M’s exhibit celebrates the legacies of three of the most influential icons in American history. Inland Northwest Blood Center will host a blood drive for participants wishing to donate or signup for a later date. The Community School Drummers will perform African and Afro-Cuban rhythms and Grant Elementary School Drummers and Dancers will perform as well. All the activities will take place until 2 p.m.
- Spokane Women’s March ready for second year - January 13, 2018
- Retreat examines how to love people who bug you - January 7, 2018
- FāVS year in review: Hate groups, Women’s March, “Abortion isn’t Simple” - December 31, 2017
- Local Baha’is to meet monthly in 2018 - December 29, 2017
- Ring in the new year with a cultural service at Spokane Buddhist Temple - December 26, 2017
- Today’s Coffee Talk to focus on “The Role of Prayer” - December 1, 2017
- Tonight at Gonzaga: China’s Last Jesuit: Charles J. McCarthy - November 20, 2017
- Join SpokaneFāVS today for a Coffee Talk on “Unlearning Hate” - October 7, 2017
- Prayer Vigil tonight for Freeman High Shooting Victims - September 13, 2017
- Second rally planned today in Spokane in response to Charlottesville violence - August 14, 2017