Until Saturday night Orlando was a Florida city connected with theme parks and the “happiest place on earth.” Today it is the focal point of the largest mass shooting in American history. The person responsible is dead, therefore we will never know the reasoning (as if we could understand) for such a heinous attack against a select group of people.
Our prayers go out to the families and loved ones of the victims ,and then to the family and friends of the shooter. I cannot imagine the guilt and shame, (What did I do? What could I have done?) and the remorse I would feel if someone I am close to did something like this. Prayers for a nation to heal.
I pray that I can stay out of judgment and allow peace to flourish within myself. It seems too simple…but what would happen if everyone worked on peace within, non-judgment, empathy and compassion?
As the thundering crowd screams for vengeance, new laws and restrictions, I understand, feel compassion and then turn to hear the saints and sages that have worked toward peace for eons. We, as a race, have within us, the possibility of changing our behavior. Do we continue with violence or discover the road to true peace? It is our personal choice.
I choose Peace.
It has begun with me.
- I felt the earth move under my feet - Jul 6, 2017
- Celebrate A Nation, Celebrate An Idea - Jul 4, 2017
- Ask A Religious Scientist: Religious Science vs. Unity - Apr 11, 2017
- Shadow Self - Dec 15, 2016
- Ask A Religious Scientist: Do you believe in Heaven? - Sep 8, 2016
- Ask A Religious Scientist: Are you Christian? - Aug 30, 2016
- We must make a choice - Jul 12, 2016
- Ask A Religious Scientist: What is a Course in Miracles? - Jul 7, 2016
- Orlando Attack: Peace, compassion — not vengeance - Jun 14, 2016
- Ask a Religious Scientist: Is Religious Science “New Age”? - Apr 6, 2016