This week SpokaneFāVS posed this question to its team of writers:
Who are the most powerful women in the Bible and why do you think they are good examples for today?
We’ll post our columnists responses throughout the week, and readers, we’ll hope you’ll chime in too!
By Jan Shannon
I choose the Holy Spirit. Mentioned throughout the book of Proverbs, Wisdom, translated as Sophia, shouts in the streets, and raises her voice to call us back to the fear of God.
Proverbs 1:20-25 “Wisdom shouts in the street; in the public square, she raises her voice. Above the noisy crowd, she calls out. At the entrances of the city gates, she has her say: “How long will you clueless people love your naïveté, mockers hold their mocking dear, and fools hate knowledge? You should respond when I correct you. Look, I’ll pour out my spirit on you. I’ll reveal my words to you. I invited you, but you rejected me; I stretched out my hand to you, but you paid no attention. You ignored all my advice, and you didn’t want me to correct you.”
The book of James also speaks to us about Wisdom, saying, “But anyone who needs wisdom should ask God, whose very nature is to give to everyone without a second thought, without keeping score. Wisdom will certainly be given to those who ask.”
James 1:5 and again in James 3:17 “What of the wisdom from above? First, it is pure, and then peaceful, gentle, obedient, filled with mercy and good actions, fair, and genuine.”
Of all the things our country needs, I believe Wisdom is the most important. If we want a solution to the divisiveness and fear that are tearing our country in two, we must seek Wisdom first. She can lead us to peace.
- Leave the boat, face the waves and fight racism - August 16, 2017
- I’m too busy for your rules - June 2, 2017
- Most powerful woman in the Bible: The Holy Spirit - March 8, 2017
- #Resistance: A Better Strategy – Say His Name - February 7, 2017
- Soulless Nation, turn to the Bible - November 15, 2016
- Viewpoints: Is there a spiritual component to sex? - October 24, 2016
- I’m begging you: Fight on! - October 20, 2016
- Viewpoints: Colin Kaepernick and the National Anthem - September 5, 2016
- Y’all Drink Too Much: Happy Hour Faith? - July 11, 2016
- Message of Hope in Planning LGBT Pride Service - June 2, 2016