This week SpokaneFāVS posed this question to its team of writers:
Who are the most powerful women in the Bible and why do you think they are good examples for today?
We’ll post our columnists responses throughout the week, and readers, we’ll hope you’ll chime in too!
To me the woman who is the most powerful in the Scriptures would be the Theotokos (Mary) carrying the creator of the universe and becoming the Mother of God in the human condition. That would be ample power for me. Power does not have to be utilized to be the greatest.
Is it the use of power that defines power? Power can be applied or implied with physical force, intimidation, persuasion, control, love, humility, etc., however, the most powerful force in the universe, for Christians, is God. Who and what is God. He is Love. What is love? Love is not a feeling. Love is an action, a powerful action.
It is love that conquers, or put another way, seduces. It is the humility and obedience that produces love that has moved, established, or destroyed kingdoms. Speaking of which, the salvation of mankind may have not happened yet if she did not consent God’s request.
And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden.
For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.”
In response to this question, Matthew Sewell also said Mary.
- Ask an Eastern Orthodox Christian: How can there be multiple “orthodox” churches? - Jul 7, 2017
- Ask an Eastern Orthodox Christian: How do I address an exarch from Turkey or Greece? - Jun 28, 2017
- Ask an Eastern Orthodox Christian: Is the Eastern Orthodox Church a very conservative church? - Jun 5, 2017
- The Bible Answer Man explains theosis - May 2, 2017
- An Eastern Orthodox View on Truth - Mar 30, 2017
- Mary: The most powerful woman from Scripture - Mar 10, 2017
- Conviction: I do not love God Part 1 - Feb 22, 2017
- Ask an Eastern Orthodox Christian: Why do you ask departed saints to pray for you? - Feb 17, 2017
- Ask an Eastern Orthodox Christian: Is Orthodoxy like the newest Christian faiths? - Feb 2, 2017
- Ask An Eastern Orthodox Christian: Do you pray to the Virgin Mary? - Dec 18, 2016