In July, at Indaba, SpokaneFAVS organized a Coffee Talk discussion around Religion & Patriotism.
Below are the related posts:
“Religion and Patriotism: Love your enemy” by John Hancock
Jesus was not a patriot. His anti-establishment non-violence seems pretty clear: turn the other cheek, love your enemies, do good to those who harm you, put away your sword, etc. These are the parts of the Gospel that I think most powerful (but difficult) of Jesus’ messages to us.
“Piety and Patriotism, Perversion and Power“ by Patricia Bruininks
Love of God. Love of Country. As we approach Independence Day, we become cognizant of the way these sentiments intersect. We think back to the “founding” of our country, led by Europeans fleeing religious persecution.
“Nations will prosper when choices are based on morality” by Joseph Niemiec
I almost cringe just putting the words ‘religion and patriotism’ in the same line. It has been said that politics make strange bedfellows, and whenever religion and politics attempt to drive the same train there is a train wreck in the future.
“The Declaration of Independence… from being comfortable” by Skyler Oberst
I’ve been thinking a lot lately about why in many houses of worship we have national flags displayed near the altar. It seems a little misguided to me, because I don’t think God cares what passport you carry. It’s also interesting to think that with so many people who use the phrase “separation of church and state” I haven’t seen too many in the flock voice concerns about the stars and stripes being displayed prominently in sanctuaries across the country.
“America: The Beautiful Dialogue” by Scott Kinder-Pyle
When I combine thoughts of patriotism and religion I think of Neanderthals. I think of the trajectory of human evolution. And I ponder the turf wars that rise and fall like erect and flaccid phalluses over the course of recorded history.
- World Vision Humanitarian Response Director to speak in Spokane - Apr 27, 2017
- Sravasti Abbey’s Service Saturday’s Return - Apr 27, 2017
- Second Harvest offers cooking classes for kids this week - Apr 26, 2017
- Award Winning Educator to keynote YWCA Stand Against Racism Event - Apr 19, 2017
- The Case for Christ: What’s the evidence for the resurrection? - Apr 7, 2017
- St. John’s Cathedral offers special musical performances for Holy Week - Apr 7, 2017
- PJALS to honor MLK’s Vietnam speech with panel discussion - Apr 3, 2017
- Video – Coffee Talk: The Nature of Truth - Apr 1, 2017
- Today: Meet The Neighbors Celebrates Spokane Hindus - Mar 25, 2017
- Attorney General Coming to Gonzaga to Discuss Immigration Case - Mar 21, 2017