In March Gonzaga University will present Women Lead Spokane, a leadership conference designed to educate and empower women personally and professionally.
Sara Jordan-Bloch, director of leadership research and programs at Stanford University’s Clayman Institute for Gender Research, will present a keynote presentation titled, “Untying Double-Binds.” Also featured will be a panel discussion with Spokane’s Sister Madonna Buder, dubbed the “Iron Nun” for competing in grueling Ironman competitions and who was featured in a Nike commercial; Kay LeClaire, the oldest woman to climb the “Seven Summits,” the highest mountains of each of the seven continents; and Sandra Williams, activist, filmmaker and publisher of The Black Lens, a monthly newspaper focusing on Spokane’s African-American community.
“The Spokane community is uniquely poised to engage in a thoughtful dialogue regarding issues related to gender and leadership opportunities,” said Liz Morris, a speech pathologist for Inland Northwest Health Services in Spokane and chair of the Advisory Council for Gonzaga’s College of Arts & Sciences in a press release. “Women need the support and information that this outstanding workshop will provide.”
Stephanie Vigil, news anchor for KHQ-TV in Spokane, will serve as master of ceremonies for the conference, which will also include skill-building workshops.
This is the first conference of its kind to be offered by Gonzaga in Spokane.
The conference will take place March 15 from 8 a.m. – 3:15 p.m. in Gonzaga’s Hemmingson Center. Cost is $149 (which includes two continuing education credits and meals). Registration deadline is March 8. To register visit: www.gonzaga.edu/womeninleadership.
- Prayer Vigil tonight for Freeman High Shooting Victims - Sep 13, 2017
- Second rally planned today in Spokane in response to Charlottesville violence - Aug 14, 2017
- Money raised for FāVS PA System - Aug 7, 2017
- So everyone can hear Coffee Talks: The FāVS PA Fund - Aug 6, 2017
- Spokane’s Singing Nuns to perform 4th of July Concert - Jun 29, 2017
- Interfaith Pride Service slated for June - May 12, 2017
- SpokaneFāVS Welcomes Assistant Editor - May 10, 2017
- Experience Islam at this Month’s Meet the Neighbors - May 8, 2017
- Immaculate Heart celebrates mothers with annual brunch - May 5, 2017
- Interfaith Day of Prayer to be celebrated this week in Colville - May 1, 2017