Sravasti Abbey, the Tibetan Buddhist monastery near Newport, is opening its door on Dec. 8 for Sharing the Dharma Day. The monthly event offers an opportunity to explore meditation, hear a talk drawn from Buddhist teachings, share a vegetarian potluck lunch and enjoy facilitated small-group discussion. Sharing the Dharma Day runs from 9:45 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Abbey on 692 Country Lane. The topic for December is “The Kindness of Others and Wanting to Repay It” from “Don’t Believe Everything You Think,” a new book by Abbey founder and abbess, the Venerable Thubten Chodron.
“Reflecting on the kindness of others helps to develop a heart of gratitude,” said the Venerable Chodron in a press release. “When we recognize kindness, we naturally want to repay it, and so this reflection provides a stable basis for developing a kind and loving heart. It also makes us much happier.”
Sravasti Abbey offers Sharing the Dharma Day for people of all faiths and backgrounds to visit and learn more about Buddhism. Dress is casual; friendly curiosity and openness to learn are the only prerequisites. Guests are invited to bring a vegetarian lunch item — omitting onions and garlic as well as meat or fish — to share with the whole group.
There is no charge for events at Sravasti Abbey, and offerings — of food for the community and/or financial gifts — are always welcome.
The Abbey will host one additional Sharing the Dharma Day, on Jan. 5, before closing for its annual winter meditation retreat. Sharing the Dharma Day events will resume in the spring.
For information or directions, contact the Abbey at 509-447-5549 or email@example.com.
- Responding to poverty and homelessness in my community - Nov 10, 2014
- How I discuss homosexuality as a Christian and why - Nov 7, 2014
- Spring at Whitworth - Apr 30, 2014
- How I found my calling as a social worker at age 21 - Apr 28, 2014
- How, why I celebrate St. Patrick’s Day - Mar 17, 2014
- Winter landscape - Feb 26, 2014
- Belief in hell - Feb 24, 2014
- Beefcake vs. bikini: Checking my biases about Spokane baristas - Feb 21, 2014
- Whitworth in the snow - Feb 18, 2014
- Churches and technology: The good, the bad and the ugly - Feb 17, 2014