What do you want to ask an Atheist? Fill out the form below or submit your question online.
By Jim Downard
“I am an atheist as well but I am very curious what will happen when I die. Even though I don’t believe in hell or heaven, will I end up just being a soul?”
My short answer: I haven’t a clue. Longer one: I don’t think what makes us “us” involves an incorporeal spirit that survives death. In that case, apart from maybe a ‘white tunnel’ experience that some apparently have in near death experiences, my suspicion is that we become unconscious as in sleep, and that’s that.
Now if there are spirit components, then all those bets are off. All of us will find out one of these days: heaven, or reincarnation, or finding out we’re in that hyper dimensional Matrix after all.
In any case, and if this life is what we get, then it highlights why we have to make the most of what we do while not dead. Try to be kind, learn more of what is actually true, fight for the right and the good, and hopefully affect what we can of the world so that it’s a bit better after we’re gone than before; so that those who come afterward won’t regard our personal stint on earth as a nuisance.
- Ask An Atheist: What about our atmosphere, oxygen? - Nov 17, 2017
- Ask An Atheist: How do you explain design throughout the universe? - Nov 10, 2017
- Ask An Atheist: Why don’t you believe in God? - Oct 3, 2017
- Ask An Atheist: Taking belief away from others - Sep 2, 2017
- Ask An Atheist: Argumentative atheists - Aug 31, 2017
- Ask an Atheist: Why do we die? - Aug 23, 2017
- Charlottesville and a Dread Déjà Vu - Aug 17, 2017
- Ask an atheist: How do you feel about atheists offering invocations? - Jun 30, 2017
- Ask an Atheist: Resolving the beginning of the universe - May 23, 2017
- An analysis of Robert Nelson’s “proof” of god - May 18, 2017