If the Jewish people believe the Savior is yet to come, why have most Jews forgone the written law in the Hebrew Scriptures?
I recently wrote about Judaism and its long tradition of legalism. You seem to be asking why the majority of Jews — i.e., most Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionist Jews, along with plenty of other progressive and/or secular Jews — aren’t obeying all or even most of the laws found in the Torah. I would refer you, first of all, to a previous column of mine, titled “Are there any biblical texts that you clearly understand to be not for our time?” Personally, the answer is a definite yes.
And just for the record: “The Jewish people” aren’t a monolith. Some Jews and some communities of Jews hold certain beliefs. But when you come down to it, every human has a unique faith (or lack thereof). I don’t believe a savior is yet to come. If I did, then I probably would do my best to obey Jewish law as I understood it, as many religious Jews do.
As I explained in my article on legalism, this would mean not only consulting the Torah but also observing laws developed by rabbis over the centuries and abiding by customs that may or may not have the full weight of Jewish law. As for why a Jew who believes the Messiah is coming would forgo “the written law in the Hebrew Scriptures” — well, perhaps simply because human beings are imperfect and often maddeningly contradictory, and also because obeying millennia-old laws to the letter can be really, really hard in modern times.
- Ask a Jew: How do Jews manage anger and indignation? - Oct 18, 2017
- Beef stew and white supremacy: The weird demimonde of #TradWife - Oct 12, 2017
- Ask A Jew: Is it worth arguing with a Holocaust denier? - Sep 24, 2017
- Ask A Jew: Pushing back against hateful stereotypes - Sep 21, 2017
- Ask A Jew: What is God’s Name? - Sep 10, 2017
- Faith doesn’t have to mean intolerance - Aug 22, 2017
- I don’t recognize my country - Aug 20, 2017
- Gary and Me - Aug 15, 2017
- On forgiveness and forgetting - Aug 4, 2017
- Ask a Jew: How can God be refreshed when God is the all-powerful creator of all existence? - Jul 18, 2017