Tonight SpokaneFAVS editor Tracy Simmons will lead a workshop, “Advancing your church in the Digital Age” where she’ll discuss how churches can develop a true Web presence.
A new report by Faith Communities Today shows 69 percent of congregations have websites and 40 percent use Facebook.
“Ministry should be, even must be, a technological hybrid venture in this day and age. But technology is not an end in itself. It has to be employed strategically and intentionally as a component of the overall ministry effort of the congregation. It is not a matter of having a webpage, a Facebook account or projection screens, but of using these to enhance and expand the activities and communal life of the congregation,” said Scott Thumma, author of the FACT study.
Another study, by the Pew Internet & American Life Project, shows 79 percent of Americans belonging to a faith group are active Internet users. Millions of Americans are on Facebook, the average user spending 15 hours and 33 hours a month on the site. Twitter is adding 500,000 users a day, according to the Search Engine Journal.
To stay relevant to today’s digital world, churches need to meet people where they are — online (in lots of places). Find out how at the workshop, which is SpokaneFAVS first fundraiser. It will be at 7 p.m. at St. John’s Cathedral, 127 East 12th Ave. Donations are appreciated.
SpokaneFAVS is an online publication that covers faith news in the Spokane area through news stories, multimedia and blogs. Simmons has worked as an online journalist for nearly a decade and has studied social media, multimedia and Web design.
- Thanks for a great Coffee Talk Today on Faith and Education - Jul 4, 2015
- Upcoming retreat to focus on pope’s message of hope, joy - Jul 2, 2015
- Second Harvest Seeking Volunteers - Jun 29, 2015
- Regional Ecumenical Catholic Communion Releases Statement on SCOTUS Decision - Jun 27, 2015
- What are Your Thoughts on the Supreme Court’s Ruling on Gay Marriage? - Jun 26, 2015
- Sravasti Abbey seeking volunteers - Jun 25, 2015
- Welcome FAVS book reviewer, Bill Williams - Jun 22, 2015
- Please welcome our newest writer, Zach Oxford - Jun 19, 2015
- Collection of FAVS Dolezal Coverage - Jun 16, 2015
- Upcoming retreat: “Praying and Contemplating in the Ignatian Way” - Jun 16, 2015