Tonight SpokaneFAVS editor Tracy Simmons will lead a workshop, “Advancing your church in the Digital Age” where she’ll discuss how churches can develop a true Web presence.
A new report by Faith Communities Today shows 69 percent of congregations have websites and 40 percent use Facebook.
“Ministry should be, even must be, a technological hybrid venture in this day and age. But technology is not an end in itself. It has to be employed strategically and intentionally as a component of the overall ministry effort of the congregation. It is not a matter of having a webpage, a Facebook account or projection screens, but of using these to enhance and expand the activities and communal life of the congregation,” said Scott Thumma, author of the FACT study.
Another study, by the Pew Internet & American Life Project, shows 79 percent of Americans belonging to a faith group are active Internet users. Millions of Americans are on Facebook, the average user spending 15 hours and 33 hours a month on the site. Twitter is adding 500,000 users a day, according to the Search Engine Journal.
To stay relevant to today’s digital world, churches need to meet people where they are — online (in lots of places). Find out how at the workshop, which is SpokaneFAVS first fundraiser. It will be at 7 p.m. at St. John’s Cathedral, 127 East 12th Ave. Donations are appreciated.
SpokaneFAVS is an online publication that covers faith news in the Spokane area through news stories, multimedia and blogs. Simmons has worked as an online journalist for nearly a decade and has studied social media, multimedia and Web design.
- Desjarlais, from The NATIVE Project, to be Coffee Talk guest panelist - Sep 29, 2014
- West Central Festival of the Arts kicks off Oct. 3 - Sep 29, 2014
- How to leave a comment on SpokaneFAVS posts - Sep 26, 2014
- BRIEF: Greek Fest begins Thursday - Sep 24, 2014
- Meet our new Orthodox writer - Sep 23, 2014
- BRIEF: Bishop Cupich to make first Spokane appearance since being named Archbishop of Chicago - Sep 23, 2014
- Spokane reacts to news about Bishop Cupich - Sep 23, 2014
- BRIEF: Film maker exploring Evangelical culture, LGBT issues, coming to Whitworth - Sep 21, 2014
- Bishop Blase Cupich named Archbishop of Chicago - Sep 20, 2014
- BREAKING – Reports: Bishop Cupich to be next archbishop of Chicago - Sep 19, 2014