Tonight SpokaneFAVS editor Tracy Simmons will lead a workshop, “Advancing your church in the Digital Age” where she’ll discuss how churches can develop a true Web presence.
A new report by Faith Communities Today shows 69 percent of congregations have websites and 40 percent use Facebook.
“Ministry should be, even must be, a technological hybrid venture in this day and age. But technology is not an end in itself. It has to be employed strategically and intentionally as a component of the overall ministry effort of the congregation. It is not a matter of having a webpage, a Facebook account or projection screens, but of using these to enhance and expand the activities and communal life of the congregation,” said Scott Thumma, author of the FACT study.
Another study, by the Pew Internet & American Life Project, shows 79 percent of Americans belonging to a faith group are active Internet users. Millions of Americans are on Facebook, the average user spending 15 hours and 33 hours a month on the site. Twitter is adding 500,000 users a day, according to the Search Engine Journal.
To stay relevant to today’s digital world, churches need to meet people where they are — online (in lots of places). Find out how at the workshop, which is SpokaneFAVS first fundraiser. It will be at 7 p.m. at St. John’s Cathedral, 127 East 12th Ave. Donations are appreciated.
SpokaneFAVS is an online publication that covers faith news in the Spokane area through news stories, multimedia and blogs. Simmons has worked as an online journalist for nearly a decade and has studied social media, multimedia and Web design.
- What reporting on the Haiti earthquake taught me about faith, resiliency - Sep 29, 2016
- Upcoming presentation at retreat center to focus on Holy Matrimony - Sep 29, 2016
- Immaculate Heart to host dinner discussion on the environment - Sep 22, 2016
- Upcoming SpokaneFāVS Coffee Talk on Faith, Resiliency and Natural Disasters - Sep 22, 2016
- Gonzaga to Observe International Day of Peace with Series of Events - Sep 19, 2016
- Spokane Sikh’s serve homeless with mobile langar - Sep 17, 2016
- Chinese Lantern Festival Returns to Riverfront Park Today - Sep 16, 2016
- Trump hits back at pastor who interrupted his pulpit speech - Sep 15, 2016
- Pullman concert to raise money for World Relief Spokane - Sep 15, 2016
- Gathering to take place in Spokane Friday in response to Dakota Access Pipeline - Sep 8, 2016