Tonight SpokaneFAVS editor Tracy Simmons will lead a workshop, “Advancing your church in the Digital Age” where she’ll discuss how churches can develop a true Web presence.
A new report by Faith Communities Today shows 69 percent of congregations have websites and 40 percent use Facebook.
“Ministry should be, even must be, a technological hybrid venture in this day and age. But technology is not an end in itself. It has to be employed strategically and intentionally as a component of the overall ministry effort of the congregation. It is not a matter of having a webpage, a Facebook account or projection screens, but of using these to enhance and expand the activities and communal life of the congregation,” said Scott Thumma, author of the FACT study.
Another study, by the Pew Internet & American Life Project, shows 79 percent of Americans belonging to a faith group are active Internet users. Millions of Americans are on Facebook, the average user spending 15 hours and 33 hours a month on the site. Twitter is adding 500,000 users a day, according to the Search Engine Journal.
To stay relevant to today’s digital world, churches need to meet people where they are — online (in lots of places). Find out how at the workshop, which is SpokaneFAVS first fundraiser. It will be at 7 p.m. at St. John’s Cathedral, 127 East 12th Ave. Donations are appreciated.
SpokaneFAVS is an online publication that covers faith news in the Spokane area through news stories, multimedia and blogs. Simmons has worked as an online journalist for nearly a decade and has studied social media, multimedia and Web design.
- Spokane Community to Gather Around NAACP Office in Show of Support - Mar 5, 2015
- Welcome our newest intern, Douglas Taylor - Mar 5, 2015
- Rally to be held outside City Hall to protest racism - Mar 3, 2015
- Selfie Pricing - Mar 3, 2015
- Spokane Chabad to celebrate “Purim in Paris” - Mar 2, 2015
- Annual Jewish Film Fest begins March 19 - Mar 1, 2015
- Notes on the SpokaneFAVS open meeting - Feb 26, 2015
- Come to the SpokaneFAVS Open Meeting - Feb 25, 2015
- Play about activist Rachel Corrie coming to Spokane - Feb 24, 2015
- Upcoming Day of Prayer “I thirst” - Feb 23, 2015