Tonight SpokaneFAVS editor Tracy Simmons will lead a workshop, “Advancing your church in the Digital Age” where she’ll discuss how churches can develop a true Web presence.
A new report by Faith Communities Today shows 69 percent of congregations have websites and 40 percent use Facebook.
“Ministry should be, even must be, a technological hybrid venture in this day and age. But technology is not an end in itself. It has to be employed strategically and intentionally as a component of the overall ministry effort of the congregation. It is not a matter of having a webpage, a Facebook account or projection screens, but of using these to enhance and expand the activities and communal life of the congregation,” said Scott Thumma, author of the FACT study.
Another study, by the Pew Internet & American Life Project, shows 79 percent of Americans belonging to a faith group are active Internet users. Millions of Americans are on Facebook, the average user spending 15 hours and 33 hours a month on the site. Twitter is adding 500,000 users a day, according to the Search Engine Journal.
To stay relevant to today’s digital world, churches need to meet people where they are — online (in lots of places). Find out how at the workshop, which is SpokaneFAVS first fundraiser. It will be at 7 p.m. at St. John’s Cathedral, 127 East 12th Ave. Donations are appreciated.
SpokaneFAVS is an online publication that covers faith news in the Spokane area through news stories, multimedia and blogs. Simmons has worked as an online journalist for nearly a decade and has studied social media, multimedia and Web design.
- Church Invites Public on Good Friday Pilgrimage Through Downtown Spokane - Mar 27, 2015
- Second Father Bach building planned downtown - Mar 26, 2015
- Day of Prayer to Focus on Mary’s Discipleship Example - Mar 19, 2015
- PJALS Action Conference Kicks Off Friday With “Rise Up Singing” - Mar 19, 2015
- Double choral concert coming to St. John’s - Mar 18, 2015
- Discussion: What Can We Learn from Ancient Mythology - Mar 13, 2015
- Meet structural sociology writer, Charles Vaden - Mar 12, 2015
- Pub Talk: What is Freedom of Expression? - Mar 10, 2015
- Green Fund Supports Four Student-Generated Sustainability Initiatives - Mar 9, 2015
- Today’s Coffee Talk “Religion and Freedom of Speech” - Mar 7, 2015