Tonight SpokaneFAVS editor Tracy Simmons will lead a workshop, “Advancing your church in the Digital Age” where she’ll discuss how churches can develop a true Web presence.
A new report by Faith Communities Today shows 69 percent of congregations have websites and 40 percent use Facebook.
“Ministry should be, even must be, a technological hybrid venture in this day and age. But technology is not an end in itself. It has to be employed strategically and intentionally as a component of the overall ministry effort of the congregation. It is not a matter of having a webpage, a Facebook account or projection screens, but of using these to enhance and expand the activities and communal life of the congregation,” said Scott Thumma, author of the FACT study.
Another study, by the Pew Internet & American Life Project, shows 79 percent of Americans belonging to a faith group are active Internet users. Millions of Americans are on Facebook, the average user spending 15 hours and 33 hours a month on the site. Twitter is adding 500,000 users a day, according to the Search Engine Journal.
To stay relevant to today’s digital world, churches need to meet people where they are — online (in lots of places). Find out how at the workshop, which is SpokaneFAVS first fundraiser. It will be at 7 p.m. at St. John’s Cathedral, 127 East 12th Ave. Donations are appreciated.
SpokaneFAVS is an online publication that covers faith news in the Spokane area through news stories, multimedia and blogs. Simmons has worked as an online journalist for nearly a decade and has studied social media, multimedia and Web design.
- Christmas Eve carillon concert to celebrate WWI truce - Dec 19, 2014
- Please welcome Cara Strickland, our food writer - Dec 16, 2014
- Local Buddhist nun co-authors book with Dalai Lama - Dec 15, 2014
- Spokane Alliance Calls on City Council Members to Pass Quality Jobs Ordinance Package - Dec 12, 2014
- Ring out 2014, ring in 2015 with temple’s Kansho bell - Dec 10, 2014
- Police brutality demonstration to take place today at Gonzaga - Dec 9, 2014
- Meet John Hancock, our compassion writer - Dec 8, 2014
- Public invited to Youth Drug Prevention Event - Dec 8, 2014
- Coffee Talk Today: Being a Person of Faith in a Consumeristic Culture - Dec 6, 2014
- Second Harvest seeking volunteers for Season of Giving Drive - Dec 4, 2014