By Mark Azzara
Given my letter two weeks ago I know I may sound like a broken record but consider …
Representatives of Europe’s Catholic and Orthodox Christian churches met recently to discuss the theme: “Europe in fear of the threat from fundamentalist terrorism, and the value of the human person and religious freedom.’’ Their conclusion: While governments can guarantee basic rights, other forces are trying “to marginalize or eliminate religion from the public square,” according to a news article. Translation: Return to your Christian roots or risk going “adrift.”
While keeping that thought in mind, step back and look at the condition of the American political landscape. What you’ll see on both sides is increasing animosity, derision, arrogance and disregard for the other side. A recent poll found rare agreement among Democrats, Republicans and independents that our nation is losing its identity but also found there is huge disagreement about what that identity is.
Now, put those two thoughts together and consider what Jesus said: “A house divided against itself cannot stand.” If and when you allow the reality of that truth to sink in, and if you believe there is a God, I invite you to start praying for the so-called “developed” world because, at the moment, it looks like anything but.
All God’s blessings – Mark
- Time to celebrate? Or time to think? - Jun 27, 2017
- A turning point for my friend – and me - Jun 19, 2017
- An America run amok - Jun 12, 2017
- Surprise! It’s the Holy Spirit - Jun 5, 2017
- Remember: Our heroes died for all of us - May 29, 2017
- The screaming message: Love is a commandment - May 22, 2017
- How do we know who we are? - May 16, 2017
- Cohabitation undermines family stability - May 8, 2017
- A Burning Heart Is Ours for the Asking - May 1, 2017
- The debate that shouldn’t be happening - Apr 24, 2017