Concluding two months of silent meditation retreat, Sravasti Abbey — the Tibetan Buddhist monastery near Newport — will opens its doors on Sunday, April 2 for its Sharing the Dharma Day series.
The April Sharing the Dharma Day will be combined with a traditional Tibetan Buddhist ceremony to mark the end of retreat and thank the volunteers who supported the monks and nuns in their meditation practice, according to a press release.
It will run from 9:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Abbey, 692 Country Lane outside of Newport. The day will include a guided meditation, a talk by abbess Ven. Thubten Chodron, a vegetarian potluck and an Lama Chopa offering ceremony.
The afternoon “Lama Chopa” ceremony is a religious celebration that includes recitations, Tibetan chanting, prayers, and sharing of food offerings.
Guests may come for the whole day of activities. According to a press release it is also OK for those less familiar with Buddhism to opt for attending only the morning meditation, talk, and lunch.
Sravasti Abbey offers Sharing the Dharma Day for people of all faiths and backgrounds to visit and learn more about Buddhism. Dress is casual; friendly curiosity and openness to learn are the only pre-requisites.
Upcoming Sharing the Dharma Day dates are May 7, June 4, July 9, and August 6. Fall/winter dates are as yet undecided.
- Today’s Coffee Talk to focus on “The Role of Prayer” - Dec 1, 2017
- Tonight at Gonzaga: China’s Last Jesuit: Charles J. McCarthy - Nov 20, 2017
- Join SpokaneFāVS today for a Coffee Talk on “Unlearning Hate” - Oct 7, 2017
- Prayer Vigil tonight for Freeman High Shooting Victims - Sep 13, 2017
- Second rally planned today in Spokane in response to Charlottesville violence - Aug 14, 2017
- Money raised for FāVS PA System - Aug 7, 2017
- So everyone can hear Coffee Talks: The FāVS PA Fund - Aug 6, 2017
- Spokane’s Singing Nuns to perform 4th of July Concert - Jun 29, 2017
- Interfaith Pride Service slated for June - May 12, 2017
- SpokaneFāVS Welcomes Assistant Editor - May 10, 2017