Concluding two months of silent meditation retreat, Sravasti Abbey — the Tibetan Buddhist monastery near Newport — will opens its doors on Sunday, April 2 for its Sharing the Dharma Day series.
The April Sharing the Dharma Day will be combined with a traditional Tibetan Buddhist ceremony to mark the end of retreat and thank the volunteers who supported the monks and nuns in their meditation practice, according to a press release.
It will run from 9:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Abbey, 692 Country Lane outside of Newport. The day will include a guided meditation, a talk by abbess Ven. Thubten Chodron, a vegetarian potluck and an Lama Chopa offering ceremony.
The afternoon “Lama Chopa” ceremony is a religious celebration that includes recitations, Tibetan chanting, prayers, and sharing of food offerings.
Guests may come for the whole day of activities. According to a press release it is also OK for those less familiar with Buddhism to opt for attending only the morning meditation, talk, and lunch.
Sravasti Abbey offers Sharing the Dharma Day for people of all faiths and backgrounds to visit and learn more about Buddhism. Dress is casual; friendly curiosity and openness to learn are the only pre-requisites.
Upcoming Sharing the Dharma Day dates are May 7, June 4, July 9, and August 6. Fall/winter dates are as yet undecided.
- Award Winning Educator to keynote YWCA Stand Against Racism Event - Apr 19, 2017
- The Case for Christ: What’s the evidence for the resurrection? - Apr 7, 2017
- St. John’s Cathedral offers special musical performances for Holy Week - Apr 7, 2017
- PJALS to honor MLK’s Vietnam speech with panel discussion - Apr 3, 2017
- Video – Coffee Talk: The Nature of Truth - Apr 1, 2017
- Today: Meet The Neighbors Celebrates Spokane Hindus - Mar 25, 2017
- Attorney General Coming to Gonzaga to Discuss Immigration Case - Mar 21, 2017
- Tonight Salem to host session on immigration advocacy - Mar 19, 2017
- 2017 “Sharing the Dharma Day” Series begins April 2 - Mar 18, 2017
- Rally in downtown Spokane today shows support for immigrants, refugees - Mar 16, 2017